Saturday July 16th, 2022
Race start time: 7am
Bib pick-up: 5:30am-6:15am
Mandatory race meeting: 6:30am-6:45am
Government Peak Recreation Area
(see parking pass note below)
What’s the best of part about doing a summer Backyard Ultra in Alaska? No headlamps needed! Join us in the land of the midnight sun for AKtive Soles inaugural Backyard Ultra. Race will be held at Government Peak Rec Area, the backyard of Alaska’s favorite outdoor playground, Hatcher Pass. Course will be a 4.167 mile loop through single track trails and grass paths with moderate elevation gains/losses. Race follow all standard Backyard Ultra rules and regulations including an open race, come see just how many loops Alaska will give you. Course trails will be clear but there can be thick vegetation surrounding the trails, always keep an eye out for wildlife. Weather in Alaska is anybody’s guess. Hope for dry, runnable trails but be prepared for rain and mud as well. No water crossings but there are several foot bridges. Registration will open January 9, 2022 at 8:00AM.
1. All runners MUST be in the starting corral at the bell.
- Each loop starts precisely on the hour and 1 hour after the last. (Warnings will be given 5, 3, and 1 minute before the bell.)
- All runners must start at the bell. (Absolutely NO late starts.)
- Except for restrooms, competitors may not leave the course until the loop has been completed.
- No non competitors on the course. (This includes eliminated runners)
- No crewing or outside aid during a loop.
- Each loop must be completed within an hour to be counted….including the final loop.
- No artificial aids. (trekking poles, etc.)
- Slower runners must allow passes.
- Runners are responsible for their personal aid and nutrition needs.
- Water, along with a limited supply of prepackaged food items will be available throughout the race at start/finish.
- Winner is the last person to complete a loop.
- All other runners are classified as a DNF. (There is no second place!)
- If no runner can complete one more loop than anyone else, there is no winner.
Parking: All participants must obtain a Matanuska Susitna Borough Parking Pass or plan to pay $5 daily parking fee at arrival. Permits can be obtained at: https://ecommerce.matsugov.us/Pages/CD/AnnualParking.aspx
Please consider the total amount of laps you anticipate doing when purchasing a pass. If you plan to be out running for more than 24 hours, buy a pass for two days.
Volunteers who help with any of our summer races June-August will receive a t-shirt and a $25.00 gift card! Help with all three and get $75.00!
Email email@example.com to become a volunteer for this or any AKtive Soles race!