Saturday July 8th, 2023
Race start time: 8am
Bib pick-up: 6:30am-7:15am
Mandatory race meeting: 7:30am-7:45am
Government Peak Recreation Area
(see parking pass note below)
Join us in the land of the midnight sun for the second year of AKtive’s Backyard Ultra!
The race will be held at Government Peak Recreation Area, the backyard of Alaska’s favorite mountain playground, Hatcher Pass. The course is a 4.167 mile (6706 meter) loop through single track and ski trails with moderate elevation gains/losses (300-400ft per loop, depending on your gps). Complete as many loops as you can within each hour to be the official finisher and try to earn your At-Large spot at Big’s Backyard in Tennessee in 2023.
AKtive’s Backyard will follow all standard Backyard Ultra rules and regulations. Racers will receive complete instruction and rules in the race handbook after registering. Day and night loops will be the same. While we brag about our midnight sun, it can still get a bit dark in the wee hours of the morning so headlamps are recommended between the hours of 11-4am.
The course trails will be clear and well marked but there can be thick vegetation surrounding the trails so always keep an eye out for wildlife and consider bringing bear spray or deterrent (whistle/horn). Weather in Alaska is anybody’s guess. We always hope for dry, runnable trails but you should be prepared for rain and mud as well. There are no major water crossings on course but there are several foot bridges that can get slick with rain
1. All runners MUST be in the starting corral at the bell.
2. Each loop starts precisely on the hour and 1 hour after the last. (Warnings will be given 5, 3, and 1 minute before the bell.)
3. All runners must start at the bell. (Absolutely NO late starts.)
4. Except for restrooms, competitors may not leave the course until the loop has been completed.
5. No non competitors on the course. (This includes eliminated runners)
6. No crewing or outside aid during a loop.
7. Each loop must be completed within an hour to be counted….including the final loop.
8. No artificial aids. (trekking poles, etc.)
9. Slower runners must allow passes.
10. Runners are responsible for their personal aid and nutrition needs.
11. Water, along with a limited supply of prepackaged food items will be available throughout the race at start/finish.
12. Winner is the last person to complete a loop.
13. All other runners are classified as a DNF. (There is no second place!)
14. If no runner can complete one more loop than anyone else, there is no winner.
Parking: All participants must obtain a Matanuska Susitna Borough Parking Pass or plan to pay $5 daily parking fee at arrival. Permits can be obtained at: https://ecommerce.matsugov.us/Pages/CD/AnnualParking.aspx
Please consider the total amount of laps you anticipate doing when purchasing a pass. If you plan to be out running for more than 24 hours, buy a pass for two days.
Volunteers who help with any of our summer races June-August will receive a race t-shirt and a AKtive Soles $25.00 gift card!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to become a volunteer for this or any AKtive Soles race!